Workshop - Staying Well during your PhD
Undertaking a PhD is both an exciting and challenging experience. It can be an emotional roller-coaster. The excitement of working on something you care about, exploring new ideas and making a contribution to knowledge. The challenges of feeling isolated and overwhelmed, dealing with setbacks, uncertainty, conflict and loss of motivation. Inevitably over the course of your PhD you will experience times when things aren’t going so well. This workshop draws on evidence-based strategies to help YOU stay well during your PhD.
Topics will include:
- Managing the workload
- Resilience and finding a balance
- Learning how to switch off
- Dealing with worries about setbacks and progress
- Good habits e.g. exercise, sleep, routines
- Dealing with isolation, lack of structure and loss of motivation
- Procrastination, perfectionism and over-committing
- Disagreements with supervisors and other colleagues
- Support for more serious mental health issues
- Supporting friends/colleagues who may be struggling
Who is it for?
PhD researchers who want to explore ways to stay well during their research career.