Workshop - Fundamentals of postgraduate research supervision
Becoming a research supervisor for the first time can be a daunting experience. The research student expects you to know what you’re doing but you are learning the process yourself. Of course you can learn by trial and error but there are some fundamentals that you can learn that make the experience less daunting for you and more supportive for the student.
Topics covered will include:
- Why supervise
- Finding the right student
- Before they start
- Getting off to a good start
- Clarifying expectations
- Understanding the relevant policies and procedures
- The personal side of the relationship
- What to do if things go wrong
Who is it for?
This is aimed at new or inexperienced supervisors or staff who are about to become supervisors for the first time.
2½ hours for an unlimited number of participants.